Basenjis can be hard to train because they can be very stubborn.They are very destructive dogs and will chew on things much more so than most dogs.There are four basic colors:
|THIS IS A FAMILY OF THE BREED 'BASENJI'.|
- tricolor, which consists of black with tan in their traditional pattern)
- brindle (red with black stripes)AND each of these with white on the tail, chest and feet.
They are very loving dogs with their owners, but need to have constant attention and human contact. Many owners say that their Basenji is like a 2-year-old child with their demands for attention and if they don't get it, they make you regret it by being destructive.
There are a few diseases and disorders that the Basenji is prone to getting:
|THIS IS A BASENJI MOTHER WITH IT'S PUP.|
- Fanconi Syndrome is an inheritable kidney disorder that usually will Show its symptoms after the age of four.
- Genetic Hemolytic Anemia, a blood disorder, is common with Basenji dogs that are carriers.
- Hip dysplasia is a disorder that can cause loss of mobility, lameness and painful arthritis in the joints. It can be mild to severe where it will cripple the dog.
- Malabsorption is an autoimmune intestinal disease that if left untreated can lead to death.
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy, which is a degeneration of the retina of the eye, may lead to total blindness and other less serious eye problems.